Thursday, March 06, 2008

What's new? Not much

I have still been working on the round throw. I am almost ready for the navy and be done with it. It is big enough that it takes a while to get around it. That is why it is taking so long.

I had, what seemed like an all night dream...yes you got it...I knit in my dreams. The dream was about a shawl that I guess I am going to have to design since I spend so much time thinking about it in my sleep. Will let you know how it comes out on paper. I guess it may be one of my next projects.

I don't know if you listen to XM radio but I have grown to love it a lot. I can listen to in on the Internet while I work which makes it nice since it blocks out everyones noise. If you are a listener of you may have heard Jeanne Robertson who is a humorist. She is from the South and does speaking engagements for business meetings, conventions, etc. If you have not, I would like to share a story she related to one of her audiences. I have to laugh every time I hear it.

Her husband Jerry, who she refers to lovingly as “left-brain”, is usually included in her stories. She explained that in the South when a friend is ill or has passed it is the customer to take food over for the family. She personally takes 7UP pound cakes. She makes them by the dozens the places them in the freezer for the next time one is needed.

Since she is on the road a lot with speaking engagements, "left-brain" takes the pound cakes when the occasion arises. On this one occasion she heard of an illness and went to her freezer to get a pound cake but there were none.

She was preparing to leave for another engagement but want to send a cake so she asked “left-brain”, who was on his way to badminton ans didn't want to be late, to go to the grocery for ingredients. He agreed as long as he could go through the express checkout.

After being gone for some time he returned with two bags in hand and others hanging off his arm. With exasperation he deposited the bags on the table and went back for more. After the second trip there was another and another.

Jeanne found her shopping list, while "left-brain" was bringing the bags in, which she had for once numbered to assure a trip through the express line. Reviewing the list, she new the reason for so many bags. Here is her list:

Original List:
1 lb Butter
2 Vanilla
3 Dozen Eggs
4 Lard
5 lb Sugar
5 lb Flour
6 6-Pk 7UP

Purchased
1------1 lb Butter
2------bottle Vanilla
36-----Dozen Eggs
8 lb----Lard
25 lb---Sugar
30 lb---Flour
36 bottles--7UP

Of course, there was no trip through the express lane. On the way out the door to badminton “left-brain” admitted that he had figured out what he had done but by that time the checker was ringing up the 7UP and people were lined up behind him laughing so he decided that he would take the excess ingredients back later.

I love hearing this women speak. She has such a funny perspective on things. I hope some day do hear her in person.

No comments: